Other formats: PDF or plain text.
Versatile R&D professional with over fifteen years of experience
with practical problem solving and developing software for embedded
- Languages: C, C++, Objective-C, Perl, Python, shell, sed, awk, PHP.
- Software: subversion, git, CVS, perforce, vim, gdb, gcc, crosstool-ng, make, valgrind, automake, autoconf, libtool, cmake, LaTeX.
- Platforms/libraries: BSD sockets, SysV IPC, pthreads, Linux kernel, device drivers, gcc cross-compilers, u-boot, iPhone/iOS.
- Microprocessors/Microcontrollers: PowerPC (MPC860, IBM 750), Microchip PIC, Atmel AVR, TI Stellaris (ARM SoC), Cypress PSoC.
- Administration: NFS, DNS (BIND, djbdns), NIS/YP, Apache, lighttpd, SMTP (sendmail, postfix), OpenVPN, KVM, libvirt, SSH.
- Basic understanding of: TCP/UDP, IP, ethernet, switches, routers, firewalls, STP, I2C, CAN, RS232, RS422
- Operating systems: Linux, Nucleus, pSOS, Mac OS X, Solaris, Windows.
Sr. Software Engineer, 2015 - Current (Survios)
- Building prototype hardware and software systems.
Software Engineer, 2010 - 2015 (RED Digital Cinema, Inc. (formerly 3ality Technica, formerly Element Technica))
- Setup internal wiki for documentation, consolidating
information into one easy-to-access place, reducing the load on
engineers by making information easy to find.
- Maintained, created, and extended embedded software running on Atmel
XMEGA, AVR, TI Stellaris, Cypress PSoC parts, including writing and debugging hardware drivers,
new board bring-up, boot loaders, and hardware debugging.
- Ported, extended, and supported C++ library for communicating with our hardware, helping several
third parties integrate their system with ours.
- Developed iPhone application for configuring and monitoring 3D rig, lens control system, providing
the only graphical interface to the system.
- Migrated from Perforce on Windows to SVN on Debian/Linux, saving money.
Software Engineer, 2003 - 2010 (MRV Communications, Inc. in Chatsworth, CA)
- Developed applications and Linux kernel drivers in C and assembly for a Motorola PowerPC 860 processor.
- Worked closely with FPGA firmware engineers to solve software and FPGA bugs.
- Managed Git, Subversion,
BitKeeper, and CVS repositories and have migrated repositories between systems.
- Installed and managed Bugzilla and Request Tracker, wrote a Perl script to migrate database from RT to Bugzilla.
- Used perl to auto-generate Docbook-XML documentation and C code from SNMP MIBs.
- Used Docbook-XML to build revision control friendly manuals.
- Installed and managed MediaWiki Wiki for internal notes and documentation.
- Built cross-compilation environment for Motorola PowerPC 860 processor.
- Debugged several hard-to-find memory leaks and race conditions in threaded C code.
- Analyzed and optimized embedded applications, turning an unuseably slow product into a
Software Engineer, 2000 - 2003 (Zuma Networks, Inc in West Hills, CA)
- Developed applications and Linux kernel drivers in C and assembly for an IBM PowerPC 750 system.
- Ported and maintained Linux kernel 2.4 for internally-designed PowerPC board that included
PCI bus and custom FPGA, eight channel Ethernet interface, and an IDE interface.
- Involved in designing and writing a new build system for large source tree.
- Involved with setting up IT infrastructure in new
company building. Installed, configured, troubleshooted,
and maintained Linux and Sun servers, firewalls, backup
system, and network hardware.
- Developed Debian-derived Linux distribution for customers to use on our product.
- Designed, wrote, and documented a library for customers to interface with the router hardware.
- Involved in porting router software from Nucleus to Linux.
Computer Technician, Jan 1998 - Aug 1999 (Waste Management, Inc in Sun Valley, CA)
- Windows workstations, AS/400, Linux server, and basic phone system maintenance.
- Used Linux and HylaFAX
to implement a network FAX server and a web-based pager gateway
application for the Customer Service Representatives, cutting
time spent waiting for fax machines and asking secretaries to
page sales reps.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, California State University, Northridge - May, 2002
Last modified 14-Feb-2016.